Alert today, alive tomorrow: Heads up for farm safety
Stay safe around downed power lines. Consider all lines, equipment and conductors to be live and dangerous.
If you are inside farm machinery that makes contact with a downed power line, know what to do!
If you can drive safely away from the power source without bringing down the utility pole and lines, travel at least 40 ft. before exiting.
If you are unable to drive the machinery due to injury, obstacles or it is inoperable, do NOT exit. Call for help and warn anyone nearby NOT to approach.
If the vehicle is on fire, or you must exit for other safety reasons, follow these steps:
- Jump clear of the vehicle. Do not let any part of your body or clothes touch the ground and the machinery at the same time.
- Land with feet together and hop away in small steps to minimize the path of electric current and avoid electric shock.
- Keep going until you are at least 40 ft. away.
- Call for help. Make sure no one gets within 40 ft. of the downed line.
- Do not re-enter the area or vehicle until emergency responders and your electric co-op crews determine it is safe.